Modern technology is simply an advancement of old technology. The impact of technology in modern life is unmeasurable, we use technology in different ways and sometimes the way we implement various technologies do more damage than good. What we call modern technology is technically not so new in most cases. For example, mobile phone technology has evolved from what it was in the year 2000 and continued to do so today; nowadays we use smartphones which is merely an advanced version of an older mobile phone.
We use technology on a daily basis to accomplish specific tasks or interests. Modern technology or evolved technology at times may replace previously used technology due to its increased benefits or newfound popularity. Take for example transportation technology; at one time steam-powered trains were widely used, now they have been replaced by electric powered trains which move significantly faster, allowing for more efficient use of time and better use of natural resources.
ADVANTAGES OF MODERN TECHNOLOGY
Easy Access to Information
It has become pretty easy to get access to relevant information at any time and anywhere. This has been possible because of modern technologies like broadband internet. Lots of data is being published and indexed online, sites like Wikipedia and Youtube have great original content that is regularly used for research or entertainment. With smart gadgets like the iPad, iPhone, Galaxy tablets, etc., users can easily have access to a vast amount of information wherever they are through the use of the internet on these devices. So a user on a train can easily read breaking news while traveling, they can also buy and sell stocks while in the bedroom or access their smart home temperature on the go. These smart gadgets make it easy to access the internet anywhere, and this simplifies the way we get information.
Encourages Innovation and Creativity
Since technology seems infinite, it sparks the brain to work to its full potential. In the past, it used to be very difficult to start a business, one had to have lots of capital, and they even had limited access to business information. Today, it is simple to start a business while at home. Let’s look at companies like Etsy.com which enable creative people to sell their works online; this encourages creativity. Another good example is kickstarter.com which helps creative people get funds for their projects through crowdfunding. On this platform, creative developers post projects to seek funding from the community; this helps them generate capital for their ideas which later leads to the creation of new jobs and further innovation of technology. The other creative works which have been facilitated by modern technology include Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon, etc
Communication is like water to life; it is essential to growth, We can not progress without communication. Modern technology has blessed us with advanced communication technology tools. These include e-fax, electronic mail, mobile phones, video conferencing, instant text messaging applications, social networking, etc.. All these modern communication technology tools have simplified the way humans and businesses communicate. I can quickly talk to my relative overseas using a mobile phone or video chatting services like Skype.
The Convenience of Traveling/ Ease of Mobility
Modern transportation technology makes it very easy to travel long distances. Transport is a very important both in our lives and in the business world. Transportation technology has evolved with years. In the past, it used to be slow and expensive to move long distances. Nowadays, we can cover a 10 miles distance within a few minutes using electric trains, airplanes or cars.
Improved Housing and Lifestyle
Another excellent way how modern technology has simplified our lives. If you compare the type of housing we used in 1900 and the architecture of houses today, the difference is enormous. New architectural technology has improved the kinds of home we build. People with money can afford floating homes, and glass homes or people with smaller means can make tiny houses or mobile homes. Most of the items in our houses are now automated, for example, doors use fingerprints, key cards, or Bluetooth on our mobile. Security has also increased at home with the evolution of more robust integrated security system.
Modern technology has played a significant role in changing the entertainment industry. Home entertainment has improved with the invention of video games, advance music systems and visual systems like smart televisions, which can connect live to the internet so that a user can share what they’re watching with friends. Easy access and storage of music are ever present, services like iTunes allow users to purchase and download music on their players at a small cost, this is a win-win situation for both musicians and the users. Additionally, bars, clubs, and amusement parks have all benefited from advancements in technology. We can see things in 3D, ride the highest roller coaster or be served by a robot at the bar, all possible through modern technology.
Efficiency and Productivity
Modern technology has helped businesses increase production. Humans are slow, and sometimes they fail to deliver on time and quality. Many companies have integrated modern technology in their production line, increasing output and allowing for more consistent quality.
Learning is a process, and it is part of our daily lives. Modern technology has made it simple for students to learn from anywhere through online education and mobile education. Also, students now use modern technology in classrooms to learn more effectively. For example, students use tablets to share visual lessons and examples with peers in the classroom; this has made learning more convenient and fun. Also, new modern educational technologies support individual learning which gives students a chance to learn on their own with no need for tutors.
Modern technology has made it simple to discover our old friends and also discover new people to network with; this is a benefit to both individuals and businesses. Many businesses have embraced social networking technology to interact with their customers. Users of social networks can share information with friends, live chat with them and interact in all sorts of ways.
Benefits to the Health Industry
Today most hospitals have implemented modern technology in surgical rooms, and this has reduced mistakes made by doctors. Humans can easily make mistakes because of work overload and stress factors. Additionally, the development community has developed health apps that enable us to monitor our health, weight or fitness. These applications are used on mobile phones, so users have access anytime.
DISADVANTAGES OF MODERN TECHNOLOGY
Social Isolation is on the increase, people are spending more time playing video games, learning how to use new modern technologies, using social networks and they neglect their real life. Technology has replaced our old way of interacting. If a user can easily interact with 100 friends online, they will feel no need to go out to make new friends which at a later stage can lead to loneliness.
Modern technology has replaced many human jobs; robots are doing the jobs which used to be done by humans. Many packing firms have employed robots on production lines to increase production and efficiency, this is good news for businesses because it helps them make more money and serve customers, but it is bad news for employees because they may become redundant.
Increased dependency on modern tools like calculators and spell checkers has reduced our creativity and intelligence. Many today struggle with spelling even basic words without an editor to confirm every word. Others find it impossible to do basic math without a calculator. Though these tools assist to make us more efficient, we may become excessively reliant on them.
Thankfully advances in technology have aided security, however, due to these advances, everything is connected to the internet in some way. Our financial accounts, our photos, our cars, mobile phone, everything touches the internet at some time. Due to the network of worldwide devices and systems, many have fallen prey to an identity thief, hacked accounts by some mischievous hacker. The road to recovery from these types of attacks can be extremely long and painstaking.
World Destruction/Advanced Weapons
Modern technology has been the main aid in the increasing of endless wars. It aids the manufacturing of modern war weapons. So when these weapons get into the hands of criminals, they will use them for their selfish reasons. To add, these weapons often severely damage the natural earth, making some areas uninhabitable.
EXAMPLES OF MODERN TECHNOLOGIES THAT SIMPLIFY YOUR LIFE
Ultra-thin Quad-band Watch Mobile Phone
This is a modern watch which comes with basic functions of a mobile phone, it will simplify the way you communicate, you no longer have to worry about losing or misplacing your cell phone, now this new technology puts all basic features of a cell phone in a watch, it has a high-definition display, MP3 ringtones, audio tone, it supports multimedia messaging, and so much more. This advancement in communication technology makes me wonder if cell phones will be replaced by watch phones. For those who hate carrying cell phones all the time, this is a great option, you can easily set this watch phone in vibration and connect it to your blue tooth, I guarantee you will not miss any business or important call.
That’s old check these evolved smart watches!
Apple Magic Mouse
Simple and elegant wireless mouse from Apple, you can improve your workplace experience by using this Apple Magic Mouse, it comes in a smooth shell design supported by both touch-sensitive and Bluetooth technologies which make it different from the usual mouse you have. Though you will need a little bit of adjustment if it is your first time to use this Apple Magic Mouse, it is too smooth and very responsive, for those who enjoy playing video games, this Apple Magic Mouse will improve your computer gaming experience. It is so lovely, for those who love Apple products, you can
That’s old too! Evolve with these!
Kingston Digital DataTraveler
You can easily transfer and move with your data using this Kingston Digital DataTraveler. Many times we back up our data on cloud servers, but these servers are not 100% safe, some prefer backing a copy of my data on a flash drive, this Kingston Digital DataTraveler has 16GB of storage space, so you can store as much data as you want, its size is slim, it can fit in your wallet. This Kingston Digital DataTraveler supports Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, XP and Mac. The cap on the top is fixed on the drive, so you will not lose it. You can easily drag-and-drop files, photos, videos, music and so much more on this Kingston Digital DataTraveler. Simplify the way you move your data with this slim data traveler.
Apple iPad 2
Tablets have simplified the way we perform various computer-based tasks, both students and business people are using these tablets to accomplish different tasks. The functions of this Apple iPad 2 are limitless, for example, you can use it as a video conferencing tool, use it as a presentation tool in a business meeting or classroom, use it to edit business documents or write classroom notes. when it comes to storage, this Apple iPad 2 comes with 64GB of data storage space, quite enough space for all your files, music, photos, software and so much more. From today, you don’t need to travel with a laptop, try out this Apple iPad 2 and simplify the way you do most computer tasks.
Check these out too!
SATA Hard Drive Docking Station
Work smart and secure your data by using this SATA Hard Drive Docking Station, it will hold your SATA Hard Drive firmly so you will not worry about damaging your hard-disk and it also comes with a USB port which makes it easy to access or backup data on your SATA Hard Drive directly from your laptop. The transmission speed is up to 5Gbps. You can
That looks bulky!
Now that we have seen some of the impacts of technology in modern life, it is our responsibility to use technology to improve our lives, but we also have to make sure that we preserve our society and environment, if we don’t control the usage of technology, we shall end up harming both the society and environment. Then for those seeking for jobs, i advice you to acquire different technological skills, make sure that you can create or invent something new using these new technological skills, being employed is just a step most of us have taken, but it does not guarantee financial security, you can use technology to create a small business.
: – The Advantages and Disadvantages of Technology in the Workplace
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Serious research has been undertaken to publish this content, so you're in the right place. I love technology, I believe embracing its potential for personal, business or educational advancement will pave the way forward for us all. We've all heard "knowledge is power", with this website I hope, to some degree, to empower you!
Technology plays a huge role in our lives. Have you ever think about what are the advantages and disadvantages of modern technology? The electricity we use, the water in our homes, the roads we use, all that has been made possible by use of technology. Even the education system is being remodeled, thanks to technology.
Technology is meant to make work easier and allow us to enjoy better lifestyles, however, at the same time, we have become overly lazy because of that. Students have been greatly affected by technology in various ways – both good and bad. Modern technology is based on the latest advances in technology which are changing by the day. It is important to keep our eyes open and our minds alert as the technology changes. Through this post, I’m going to figure out the advantages and disadvantages of modern technology to students.
You May Like:Advantages and Disadvantages of Exams for School Students
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Modern Technology
Advantages Of Modern Technology To Students
Technology has a lot of advantages in every field it is applied to. In education, it plays a vital role for both students and their teachers and the institution at large. The advantages are basically the positivities of technology and the many benefits we enjoy. They include;
1. Easier access to information: With technology advancements, students can easily access class notes and assignments through emails, WhatsApp, Viber, and other mediums of communication. This helps in keeping students updated with class work and they can read at their own pleasure through their mobile phones and laptops. In early stages of Tech era, we used PCs and Laptops for took down notes. But nowadays students not even bother about PCs or Laptops. They simply use mobile phones and Tablets. See, how these modern technologies change our students’ life easy. Think, how our parents or grandparents access the class notes or assignments? On those days, they should have to go and meet the teacher in person or go to the library for collects the information.
2. Convenience in learning: Technology has made learning possible from all corners of the earth. You don’t have to worry anymore about missing class work and having piles of assignments and notes to write. Your friends can keep you posted on classes and send you the necessary materials needed by the teachers. Let’s say you are going to an unavoidable ceremony/function or going abroad for one week. Without technologies, how you could cover up all the notes you are going to miss during that one week? In such situations, technology impacts a lot. Your friend can keep updating you about everyday class notes and other information.
3. Promote independent learning: The internet is a hub of information. During free time, students can look up important information that helps them increase knowledge. In addition to that, they can review what they learned in class through their devices. In early days, a student has to go to the library in order to learn and gather information independently. But now it’s all turn-around. A smartphone is enough to gather any type of information from any kind of subjects.
4. Enhanced communication: This is with regards to communication between students and their teachers. It also helps in relaying information from the dean to students on important information, events, and dates in the school’s academic year. When my parents got free time, they told me about their old life style. Sometimes, they told me about their school life and I just amazed the way they studied hard. Before these technologies arise, if a student has any doubts or wanted to know some important information, they should have to meet the teacher in person. But nowadays, a student can easily contact the teacher through a mobile phone or any other communication devices. This enhanced communication is one of the great advantages of modern technology to students.
5. Better access to reading materials: Through your mobile phone, tablet or laptop, you can easily access notes and course textbooks. Instead of having loads of books and hard copies, just use your mobile phone and download the necessary reading material in PDF format. Google, Wikipedia, and YouTube are three giants where you can learn anything. Just imagine your life without Google and YouTube. But, keep in mind that your parents and grandparents studied, worked on assignments, successfully finished projects and, graduated without Google, YouTube or any other technologies. Why I’m saying this is you have to honor your parents because they are cleverer than you. This is how modern technologies make a student life easier than they expect.
6. Integration of fun in class: Students get bored with the same teaching routines. As the teacher, you can make your class lively by asking them to use their gadgets to access information from the net in regards to classwork. Apart from being fun, it enhances their participation in class. It’s very hard to see a student who goes to school without a mobile phone. Even though there are some disadvantages of having a mobile phone by a school student, there are many advantages a student can earn from the same mobile phone. Go through the advantages and disadvantages of mobile phones to school students.
7. For relaxation: In a tight studying schedule, a student must have to take a break. Some students go and play outside or go for some physical activities – highly appreciate them. But many students entertain themselves by watching movies or listening songs via smartphone. Other students play games on their mobile phone. Some other students play games on PlayStation, Xbox or Wii. This is how technology entertains a student as they want.
You May Like:Best 10 Laptops for Animation Students, Gamers, and Graphic Designers
Disadvantages Of Modern Technology To Students
As much as students take advantage to nurture their learning, they have also misused the advancements of modern technology to engage in unpleasant habits. This has made parents, as well as teachers concerned, and it’s during times like these people wish technology was not part of their lives as it is spoiling the minds of their young ones. However, it is important to note that modern technology isn’t the issue here but it’s the students using technology for all the wrong reasons. The disadvantages of modern technology to students include;
1. Seclusion from the rest of the world: Students have taken solace in technology and have created their own world revolving around it. You will find that they lock themselves in their rooms and even stay up too late, surfing the internet or watching movies and listening to music. This is not only affecting their studies but also seriously affect their health too. As a parent or teacher, you should let them use any technology device for a certain time only.
2. Addiction: Technology has an alluring sense that attracts the young generation and traps them. You will find 90% of a school population glued to the screen of their devices doing what they know best. Using the modern technology is good but if you are getting addicted to any modern technology, that’s bad. The college and university students grow enough to identify and use the modern technologies in a limited way. But sadly, school student are easily got addicted to modern technologies and that’s not a good practice at all.
3. Access to inappropriate content: With the freedom of having devices with the internet, students take advantage and search for inappropriate materials e.g. pornography and violent acts, which are easily accessible on the net. As a parent, you should have to keep your eye on your kid as all the time as possible. As you all know, nowadays the sexuality cases and violent acts tremendously growing day by day. It’s all because of the rise of modern technology. The growth of technology is great only when we use that in an appropriate way.
4. Cyber bullying: This is yet another alarming heinous act, where students hack other people’s accounts where they harass them and ask for money or tamper with other people’s vital information. This is one of the biggest disadvantages of modern technology to students.
5. A huge distraction: As much as the internet and gadgets enhance learning, they also demote it by acting as a huge distraction to the students from what is really important in education. In class, you will find students don’t pay attention and instead they are playing games or surfing online and listening to music. Even in the home, some students playing games on their actual studying time. As a student, you can play for some time after the school. But don’t play the whole time when you are in the home. You may have to do the home work or you may have to repeat the notes what you studied at the school. If you are playing or entertain you without studying at least a little at home, mark my words, you are going through a wrong path and it will affect your future.
6. Increased cases of exam cheating: Cheating during examination and tests have become a common thing among students. Since they can find all the information they need online, they don’t revise for exams, instead, they use their mobile phones to search for answers. This is not a good idea at all.
You May Also Like:Advantage And Disadvantages Of Television In Points
These are the advantages and disadvantages of modern technology to students. These are the only points struck on my mind. But I’m sure that there are many other advantages and disadvantages of modern technology to students. If you know any other points, you can write that in the comment box below.
The advancements in technology have proven to be education friendly, however, at the same time, it is distracting students from what is really important. This might be due to the non-restriction of certain information and sites that students should not visit. Moreover, they have the freedom to engage in other activities – games, movies, and music, instead of taking books and read to enhance learning and improve their knowledge.
If you have any thoughts or suggestions, feel free to shoot that in the comment box below. I always welcome your comments and suggestions. You can share this post with your friends and family by clicking one of the social share buttons below.
Filed Under: Pros/ConsTagged With: Education, inspire, students, Technology